Original released on LP Paramount PAS 6004
(US 1971, March 5)
In 1971, a
little film by the name of "Friends" became a huge commercial success around the
world. Universally denounced by critics, director Lewis Gilbert's tale of two
teenagers in love in the Camargue charmed and delighted untold thousands. The
album soundtrack by Elton John and Bernie Taupin also became a hit. And those
so-called critics probablly didn’t felt the magic of this jewel because they
weren’t young anymore. Paul Harrison would say «pauvres idiots», while Michelle
Latour would call them «poor silly bastards» with her tender accent.
(US 1971, March 5)
In 1971, a
little film by the name of "Friends" became a huge commercial success around the
world. Universally denounced by critics, director Lewis Gilbert's tale of two
teenagers in love in the Camargue charmed and delighted untold thousands. The
album soundtrack by Elton John and Bernie Taupin also became a hit. And those
so-called critics probablly didn’t felt the magic of this jewel because they
weren’t young anymore. Paul Harrison would say «pauvres idiots», while Michelle
Latour would call them «poor silly bastards» with her tender accent.
The film's
greatest strength – apart from Alvina's extraordinary performance and presence
(sadly, the actress died in 2006, at only the age of 53) and, to a lesser
extent, Bury's – is its evocation of Arcadia, that magic, protected place where
life may be lived as the rest of us can only dream. Literature and art has for
all time been obsessed with the many forms of Shangri La, but cinema has not
been that successful at evoking it (the very artifice feels more like an
attempt than a true experience). The white
cottage and Camargue of "Friends" is a perfect embodiment of that world – a place
where no stranger/adult enters and which even the police cannot track down.
This is why, by the end of the movie, they must wait overnight (one assumes in
a local village) and return the next morning to the vineyard to await Paul.
Shot by
Andréas Winding, the film is always extremely beautiful to look at (though the
David Hamilton-esque patina dates it at times), and thoughtfully directed (the
green of nature is kept out until the reverse close-ups of Paul and Michelle
during their first meeting). Lewis Gilbert has never been regarded as a
particularly inventive or imaginative craftsman, but the clearly personal
nature of the material has made his work here unusually sensitive and
appropriate. The scenes
of nakedness and lovemaking, which created some comment at the time, are
strikingly natural, never prurient and exploit neither actor. That did not stop
several critics from complaining that Alvina is exposed to more explicit nudity
than Bury, but this isn't so. The full-frontal of Alvina that set the puritans
afire is three-frames long, and a long-shot. What certainly did upset people
was Michelle's having a baby outside the hospital system, as if this was somehow
irresponsible and unbelievable. But Michelle's mother died during childbirth
(presumably in a hospital), and Michelle's desire to have hers somewhere else
is totally believable.
Paul and Michelle are a remarkable cinematic couple, because one always believes in, and is inspired by, their love. Few films have captured the rapture of teenage passion so sweetly; few films have created and held a teenage perspective so honestly. Gilbert has exactly captured Fournier's maxim: «My credo in art and literature is childhood. The thing is to render it without childishness.» One could add: «Nor debase it with adult perspectives.» The elegiac world of Paul and Michelle's love may have been attacked from outside, dismantled and lost, but, by the virtue of this tender film, one can constantly return and relive it. And the magic still exist: it gives your youth back again, everytime you look at it.Three years after there was a sequel, called “Paul et Michelle”, but the times have already changed and the actors lost their innocence.

I saw this little sweet movie when it was released, back in 1971. It’s a film about innocence, the purity of young love and the determination of two young people to make a better life for themselves then they had at home. At the time it was pretty risky to have a movie about a couple of young runaways who successfully setup house and have a baby on their own. Thinking about the values of young people today, I'm not surprised the movie and Elton John's soundtrack are almost unknown nowadays. I was then eighteen years old and for the really first time I was deeply in love with a girl of sixteen. That's the reason why I’ve never forgot this movie or the gentle music score signed by Elton & Bernie.
"Friends" later made a brief appearance on video (CIC-Taft) and was shown a couple of times on late-night television, but then disappeared without trace. The soundtrack went out of print, and no CD version was ever released. The first hint of revival came in 1992 when Elton John released a two-CD compilation, “Rare Masters” (DJM 514 305-1), which contains all the music (and the original's dialogue snippets: «I meant to do my work today as a lizard sunned itself on a moss-grown rock ...»). A few years later, the film was released on VHS in the US. Finally I’ve got it in DVD, after many many years of waiting. The reason of such a delay it’s because the movie wasn’t edited in DVD in the States because of child nudity (!). I think there’s a stupid decree of American Congress that don’t allow individuals under eighteen to be shown having sex on the screen. Or for that matter, even permitted to have sexual thoughts. Nevertheless, you can buy it (Region 2) quick and easily at Galatea Shop, in Ebay.
A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to receive an email signed by Sean Bury. Unfortunetely that email was lost between some crashes of my computer. But basicly he told me that he enjoyed to know that this little film has crossed the times and won the status of a cult-movie. He told me also that he was living another life, far away from the cinema world. And that he was very happy because his new work had the gift of helping many people around him. Thanks, Sean, for the wonderful person you are and thanks also for being part of this magic movie, which caused so much happiness to so many people around the world.
I shall always remember Lewis's words after the Preview showing..."Sean" he said as he came up to shake my hand,"you have nothing to be ashamed of !"..(I heaved a sigh of relief)...then he added.. "But nothing to be proud of either!".
Years of dedicated training as a young actor just went down the pan!I now work with people with special needs , the money is terrible but the smiles are the best! I have been lucky enough to see both of these 2 very different worlds. One feeds upon the attention it seeks and the other is just happy being, and getting on with things quietly, but both are exciting,fun and challenge one to do better. May your gods be with you all !» (Sean Bury in Amazon.com)
I hope the day will be a lighter highway
For friends are found on every road
Can you ever think of any better way
For the lost and weary travellers to go
Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything's all right
It seems to me a crime that we should age
These fragile times should never slip us by
A time you never can or shall erase
As friends together watch their childhood fly
(Ver apontamentos sobre o filme aqui)
For friends are found on every road
Can you ever think of any better way
For the lost and weary travellers to go
Making friends for the world to see
Let the people know you got what you need
With a friend at hand you will see the light
If your friends are there then everything's all right
It seems to me a crime that we should age
These fragile times should never slip us by
A time you never can or shall erase
As friends together watch their childhood fly
(Ver apontamentos sobre o filme aqui)








27 comentários:
sweet!
thank you, thank you! this out-of-print LP will mean so much to an old friend of mine from high school daze...
"Friends" is very best Elton John golden era. Very nice.
Scott Murray, a film maker, remembers some "expert" criticisms about this wonderful movie:
Leonard Maltin: "Yucky early-teen romance about French boy and girl who run off to the seashore, set up housekeeping, and have a baby ... then Mommy and Daddy show up to take them home."
Well, the boy is English, not French; they go tho the Camargue, not the seashore; there is no Mommy, the boy's mother having abandoned him (and her husband) six years earlier, and the girl's mother having died during childbirth; and, four, at film's end, the boy faces arrest by a police inspector, with not a parent in sight.
With four major errors in less than three lines, Mr. Maltin sets a new standard in critical (in)accuracy.
The Motion Picture Guide says: "Terrible teenage drama starring [Sean] Bury and [Anicée] Alvina as two unloved French kids who run off together and set up housekeeping on a deserted beach. They have a baby and, shortly afterward, their apologetic parents show up and take them away."
What is going on here? Is there a parallel universe where a different version of the film is circulating, corresponding to what Maltin and the Motion Picture Guide describe?
And The Chicago Sun Times, by the hand of Roger Ebert wrote: "Friends is the most sickening piece of corrupt slop I've seen in a long time. It's so cynical in its manipulation of youth, innocence, sunsets and all the rest that you squirm with embarrassment. There are probably no 14- or 15-year-olds in the entire world like these two; they seem to have been created specifically for the entertainment of subscribers to Teenage Nudist. The archness of their "innocence" toward sex is, finally, just plain dirty. And the worst thing is that the movie seems to like it that way."
Well, where are these critics (all americans, by coincidence) living noawadays? I'm sure in some psychiatric hospital, no doubt about it.
Beautiful coming of age romance about an English boy and French girl who run off, and grow up.
I saw this movie as a teenager and loved it. I saw it again this year and loved again.
Allen Morris
If this movie were in production today it would probably have the christian right-wingers screaming 'child porn'.
when I first heard about this movie, I noticed it was one of the most controversial films of the 1970s. I noticed the music was by Elton John, so I figured I had nothing to loose, so I got it. What a Surprise!!! The movie was awesome. It was true love is all about.
Roby
I haven't seen this movie since it came out at a drive in theater, and I have been searching for it since. At the time I was 12 and the story excited me; and NOW, the ending eludes me. It was young love that engrossed me the most, not to mention John's vocals and Taupin's lyrics. The story (at the time) hit home to my psyche. I am a lover of sentimental movies and this still hangs in my head after 35 years- it is that good. Place yourself at adolescent age and let your fantasies run. If this movie didn't excite your curiosity, then you were just too old. I look forward to seeing it again (even at my age)! If nostalgia is in your venue, I'm sure this is an interesting movie to see. It's innocence is simply astounding and it's simplicity is so easy and enjoyable.
Pat Gauldin
Great Movie! The sound track is awesome! Very relaxing sound. Elton was ahead of his own time even back in 1971. Lewis Gilbert did a magnificent job producing and directing this film! The movie was romantic and a breath of fresh air. The sound tracks written by Sir Elton complimented the movie to a T. Rex Morris does a great job with the tenor sax on the song "Honey Roll" and poem "I Meant To Do My Work Today" by Richard Le Gallienne was incredible! Kudos to everyone involved with this fantastic film! It was no surprise that a lot of the people involved with this movie went on to become the best in their field.
Mike Peterson
This film grabbed me right from its start, where a sweet-looking teen-aged girl is shown visiting a grave alone, then Elton John's powerful song "Friends" starts playing while she's shown walking alone through the streets of Paris, carrying a suitcase, naively unaware of the car theft and prostitution going on around her. The entire film is a beautiful, dreamy, romantic collection of scenes of young love, holding hands, living in the country, wild horses running around freely, fields of wildflowers, sunsets, toasts of wine, evenings by the fireside, having fun, and general innocence, all set to romantic music by Elton John. It's magical.
Simnia
I saw the movie in 1972, and like other people who have commented on it here ... I went back many more times to see it over and over ... I think 9 times in all. Just great is how I would describe it ... I was taken by the sound track, the beautiful panoramas of the south of France, the life style the kids began on their own. An ideal way to live is what they had set up ... of course the powers that be have to intercede, but when I forget that part I find myself wanting to be in the movie and live like that! So good that it is available on DVD now ... it was not around for years!
tlweschler
I was drawn to "Friends" by the soundtrack scored by a very young and yet to be famous Elton John whom I had see in a club in nearby Houston. I had no idea of the emotions and impact the movie would make. Recently I was brought back to the movie by a song that Heart did called "Seasons", then I found the Elton John song "Friends" thinking it was the same song...it's been 35 years of so. Anyway, the flood of the emotions of "Friends" came back like seeing an old photograph of your first real love. I have more recall of the way the movie hit me than I do of the actual details of the production, plot, etc. so forgive me for a rather poor review. I remember taking a couple of special friends on a date to see the movie and them being as moved and teary-eyed at the end as I was. I'm both anxious and nervous to find a copy and see it now. So many movies which seemed so important to me back then (i.e. "The Graduate" "Easy Rider") now just seem silly and I don't want this to fall into the same category. But, I will find it and if it turns out silly, then at least I'll be able to turn my wife onto a great...no..outstanding soundtrack. When we met, we went through this with "Last Tango in Paris". The youngsters I work with (I'm 56) respect my opinions but it's hard to explain the feelings of the sixties and the movies and songs that reflect such strong feelings but seem a little "aged" now. I just can't figure out if the the aging process is the movies... or me. "Friends" is a very special, sensitive and wonderful movie. It will bring back a lot of special feelings I'm sure. By all means, rent or buy a copy... Indies were not near the strong genre then that they are today.
Randy
I saw this movie when it was first released and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a movie. I am in my 40s now and have 2 teenage kids and I would like them to see this movie. I would recommend it to anyone who loves a romance movie or older Elton John music.
I have searched most of the stores that sell both new and old movies but have not come across any.
I bought some old movies like " Melody" in Hong Kong, who had quite a collection of old movie, but they did not have this. Jay Kumar
My wife and I saw this when we were 17. The only good thing my father ever did (get us in). This is "our movie" and the music is "our songs". Michelle's song is "our" song. Yeah, nowadays, it's a crime to show naked children on the screen, but we were screwing at 16, why not these kids? The movie is- rich boy impregnates poor girl, then rich dad steals him away from her at the end, after she gives birth under impoverished conditions. She is left alone with child. It is a love story and a "growing up" story. The music is fantastic, and the story is one any person could relate to.
eviltimes
While the characters seem and look young (hence the controversy), the actor/actress themselves were 17 and 18 at the time and so obviously over the 16 barrier. Here in the USA, that's still somewhat controversial but the simplicity and innocence of the film does much to offset it.
I'm sorry not to have seen more by Sean; in this movie at least his expressions are demonstrative and obvious; you know exactly what the character is feeling whether he's angry, afraid, or confused. Anicee had a healthy career, who's life was cut unfortunately short by cancer in late 2006. She was a beautiful and talented actress.
I'm certain that people from USA don't know anything about the rest of the world, but I think they mustn't talk about what they don't know. And they must remember that the rest of the world is not as hypocrite as the USA. The only places where consented sex between teenagers are illegal are the USA and Islamic nations. In France, for instance, the age of consent is 15. In Brazil it's 14. In Spain it's 12. So the teenagers actors, 16 and 17 years old by the time of production, aren't doing anything illegal. Nudity isn't considered big deal in almost all civilized countries. And only a freak could consider a teenagers' love as child molestation.
J Daltro (Brasil)
A remarkable film, bringing to the surface all sorts of feelings I had when I was much, much younger. I loved it, and the Elton John music. I remember seeing in in the movies when I was a kid, and for some reason (limited release?) I've never known anyone else who saw this film when it was released.
The dreams it inspired in me from decades ago have never left me, and seeing the film again recently brought it all rushing back, I confess, however, that my kids (in their 20's) have not experienced a similar emotional rush. A generational thing?
I showed the film to a group of school youngsters and they abounded with such simplistic and cynical comments regarding it as naïve and foolish. Guys, be serious!! Cinema is an art and as art it reflects not only human emotions but historical moments. And this is exactly what "Friends" does in a masterly way. It reflects an idyllic idea of rebellion and new beginning we all dreamt about when we were 15. I'm now a musician and I feel some of us, artists for that matter, still dream about it!! How else could we live? That's "Friends", that's "Brother Sun Sister Moon", that's "Hair". Those were the times, still alien to AIDS, alien to explicit and vulgar texts in pop songs with no melody, to pornography presented as "sexuality", to this barbaric new "world order" growing after September 11th.
What a heart warming experience to see Paul and Michelle again, timidly and tenderly exploring the new fantasies of their romantic world. What a trip back to the very core of our hearts: to Paris, to Elton John at his best, to that urban scenario surrounded by 2 CV Citroëns and the VW Beetles. What a fresh air from the peaceful cottage in Camargue, surrounded by fishing ponds and wild horses. They made us who we are, as did Serrat in Spain, Brel in France, Peter Paul and Mary, Joan Baez, Luther King, the Beatles, the early Bee Gees, Belafonte's Spirituals, Gandhi, the Gospel of Elvis.
People still hoping: get this picture. Start with innocence and grow from there. You'll find out what it's all about. And from there you'll have a solid and more truthful foundation; some ideals to look for in life, a way to handle personal and world affairs. We need so much of this today! Give yourselves the chance and maybe someday the time of cynics will end.
Santiago Zuleta (Colombia)
Gorgeous photographs to ilustrate a wonderful movie.
I'm excited to know it's finally available on DVD.
I'M ON MY WAY NOW TO GET IT AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
Bom disco. De facto, um dos melhores de Elton John.
Não me lembrava de o ouvir, embora conhecesse Friends, a canção.
Obrigado por esta belissima banda sonra assinada pelo Elton John e o Bernard Taupin (um dos melhores trabalhos dos dois em conjunto) e nunca editada oficialmente em CD.
Quanto ao filme em si, também ele me tráz memórias preciosas (como éramos jovens e inocentes em 1971!) e é bom saber que já se pode adquiri-lo em DVD. Pelo menos na Europa, pois neste país de mentecaptos nem vê-lo! O que não é de admirar, considerando que a política editorial vigente se submete cada vez mais vergonhosamente às multinacionais americanas, onde evidentemente não cabe qualquer outra cultura (europeia ou não) que hostilize o pensamento ianque.
Relembrando a variedade de cinematografias a que tínhamos acesso há trinta ou quarenta anos atrás, e olhando para aquilo que hoje em dia se consome nas salas, não tenho qualquer dúvida: O CINEMA MORREU E OS SEUS ASSASSINOS FORAM OS ESTADOS UNIDOS DA AMÉRICA!
Grande filme, grande banda sonora.
Tinha eu uns 16 anitos...
Abraços
José Miranda
Nice album you posted thanks for the album. I have a own webblog too maybe you can find some too for you at: http://rotterdamrebels.blogspot.com/
Este é um daqueles felizes casos em que a música nos faz recordar do filme e, inversamente, a lembrança do filme é de imediato associada à excelente música do Elton e do Bernie.
Aconselha-se (filme + música) a todos os que ainda guardam dentro de si alguma pureza e inocência, sentimentos cada vez mais raros nestes tempos tecnológicos.
What a wonderful post!
These are the most wonderful commentaries of the most beautiful movie I have ever seen!, I am still haunted by those scenes that I first saw when I was 17!, I do mean HAUNTED! it is a movie that I wish I had never seen! but one that I would never dream of a life without! The beauty of the story, the actors, and the setting will live with me until the day I die!.
In australia this film was edited to reduce the nudity, which kept it from being too contriversial and as we here (in Australia) do not have the wide and shallow puritanical streak of the Americans, it was viewed through much clearer lenses than filthy ones the american public seem to wish to wear! The soundtrack keeps the movie in my head and the movie keeps the soundtrack in my head! I am the only person I know to have seen this movie, I have ordered a copy on DVD and hope my wife loves it as much as I do, I do not think my 17 year old son would have the reaction to it as I have had, and I hope he never does! Times have changed and people have lost something very special! This movie IS REAl to me, I cannot treat the protaganists as characters, They for me are real, And the Death of Anicee, Which I have found out about just recently has left me with a cold and hollow feeling in my Heart! It wasn't just the death of an actress, It was the death of Michelle La Tour! My sorrow is almost overwhelming!
thank you for this Blog and the opportunity to comment.
Greg
Friends (1971) is a great movie. I have never been so endeared to two characters before, but there's something singularly magical about re-visiting Paul's adventure with Michelle in France, whether it's to hear Michelle's adorably mangled English (her way of saying "fourteen and a half" was heartwarming!) or nod knowingly at Paul's thirst for adventure in a stiff, unexciting society. I still like to imagine that they're inhabiting some alternate existence, forever youthful, unperturbed by the realities of our modern world, and always together.
Friends' 1974 follow-up, Paul and Michelle, was not as enchanting. Yes, it was well-made and particularly well-acted, but I was so invested in the success of their relationship that introducing Gary just made me feel sad, especially when it was revealed that Michelle was involved with him sexually. It made me wish that Paul and Michelle could have had a happier ending as a married couple...
A very beautiful movie. I saw it when I was something like 13 years old and I fell in love with Anicée Alvina the moment I saw her. I search the film for years, finally finding it in the internet, with the sequel too, that I never saw before. I'm still enjoying it and I'm still in love with Anicée. Last summer, I went to the cemetary where she is buried (Boncourt, France), and respectfully pray upon her grave. Every year on the tenth of november, i post a picture of her to remind the day of her death.I'll never forget Anicée Alvina and I'll never forget "Friends"...
Enviar um comentário