Original released on LP GRATEFUL DEAD GD01
(US 1973, October 15)
After the end of their contract with Warner Brothers
the Grateful Dead set up their own record companies; Grateful Dead records for
Grateful Dead albums and Round Records for solo projects. “Wake Of The Flood”, the first release on the new label was
announced to fans via a leaflet to Dead Heads: «We've decided to produce,
manufacture, and distribute our records ourselves. The band today finished
recording of an all-new studio album (been a long time) called “Wake Of The Flood”. The album will be
made from the highest quality vinyl available, which has the best technical
properties. In addition, it will be heavier (weighs more, that is) than most
albums available in this country. It will be handled locally through
independent record distributors and should be available everywhere.»
I love “Workingman's” and “American Beauty” as much as
any Deadhead...; but this album is magic. "Mississippi Uptown" is a
great track to start off this masterpiece and I've warmed up somewhat to the
next track, Keith's "Let Me Sing...." but it is the only weak song on
this release. Now the album really begins - "and I say, Row Jimmy,
Row...." Jerry takes over on lead vocals and his guitar is so sweet on
this track. Then the group slows it down even MORE, if this is possible, with
"Stella Blue". More beautiful vocals by Jerry (probably his best
vocals EVER were on this album) and by the end of the song you're in a trance
with the endearing pedal steel solo. It's hard to follow that tune but the
group continues with the lovely "Here Comes Sunshine". It's almost
like the Dead were trying to come up with their own version of "Here Comes
The Sun" and it succeeds on a joyful, upbeat tune. Then it happens....the
best single song the group ever recorded, "Eyes Of The World". Of
course Jerry sings it, the lyrics are beautiful, but the lead fills by Garcia
are the main reason to love this band. Each solo is better than the last and
Jerry's fingers are magical on this cut. If you ever want to turn someone on to
the Grateful Dead, just cue up this song, works every time. After he plays
every note he can get out of his guitar, Jerry merely hits 2 notes at the end
of the tune while Phil solos on bass. Awesome, all-time cut. Bob Weir finally
asserts himself with the long and epic "Weather Report Suite" and
it's a great album closer. Each part is wonderful. I personally love the last
section when Jerry sends notes cascading in all directions while the sax solo
blazes on. The Dead never made an album like this before or after. It also was
their first release on their new "Grateful Dead Records" company. The
album cover itself is classic and timeless. I much prefer it to all of the
skulls and lightning bolts. This is a 5 star album all the way and is in my top
10 desert island discs. The Dead catalog is a large treasure of musical genius
but this release was the crowning jewel sitting on top. Break out the headphones
and drift away...(in Calcutta Tube)


2 comentários:
Rato...returned???!!!??? Wow. So glad to see. I'm not a big Dead fan, but I honestly haven't listened to much from this period, so perhaps your offering here will change my opinion. Thanks for sharing, and it is good to see you here.
Thanks!
Well... 5 years is a long absence, and I missed already being here. I will repost the old stuff, little by little (many, many requests over these years), but I intend also to post new things.
Enviar um comentário