Original Released as LP Reprise RSLP 6383
(US 1970, August 31)

A1. Tell Me Why 2’54
A2. After The Gold Rush 3’45
A3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart 3’05
A4. Southern Man 5’41
A5. Till The Morning Comes 1’17
B1. Oh Lonesome Me 3’47
B2. Don’t Let It Bring You Down 2’56
B3. Birds 2’34
B4. When You Dance You Can Really Love 3’44
B5. I Believe In You 2’24
B6. Cripple Creek Ferry 1’34
All selections by Neil Young except B1 by Don Gibson
Most of these songs were inspired by the Dean Stockwell –
Herb Berman screenplay “After The Gold Rush”
NEIL YOUNG AND CRAZY HORSE
WITH GREG REEVES, STEVE STILLS & NILS LOFGREN
Produced by Neil Young & David Briggs with Kendall Pacios
Bass: Billy Talbot and Greg Reeves
Piano: Neil Young, Jack Nitzsche and Nils Lofgren
Drums: Ralph Molina
Guitars: Neil Young and Danny Whitten
Vocals: Neil Young, Danny Whitten, Nils Lofgren, Steve Stills
and Ralph Molina
Harmonica and Vibes: Neil Young
Patches: Susan Young
Direction: Elliot Roberts
Art Direction: Gary Burden
Photography: Joel Bernstein
«Well I dreamed I saw the knights in armour coming…» This was the album that introduced me to the musical universe of Neil Young. I’ve bought it about six months after its original release, on a holiday trip to Johannesburg, South Africa. I still remember the shop: it was called "Look & Listen" and was located in a basement of Eloff Street. I’ve spent all afternoon listening to the most recent releases, like I used to do in those days (‘cause the money was not much and we had to be sure if the album was worthy). And all these songs enchanted me, mainly the soft ones. Since then I’ve bought many others albums of Neil Young, but this particular one remained my number one favourite until today. A starkly poignant record, "After The Gold Rush" contains some of Neil Young’s most love-lorn lyrics. The cover photograph sums up the album’s sentiment – a solarized photograph of the glowering singer-songwriter walking in a near-deserted street. Young’s latest songs – he had, until recently, been hard at work on the CSNY album, "Déjà Vu" – indicate a more introspective approach. Songs like "Tell Me Why", "Only Love Can Break Your Heart" and "Don’t Let It Bring You Down" all go some way to solidify his reputation as a hopless romantic.The energy and fire of his electric guitar playing emerges only twice, notably on the corrosive (and controversial) "Southern Man". In patenting the late night feel of the record, "After The Gold Rush" was recorded with Young’s latest find – a 19-year-old singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist named Nils Lofgren, whose guitar playing and piano work would elevate this collection of songs to among the finest ever written by Neil Young. The beautifully evocative title track, for instance, a near-mystical eulogy to a vanished and fast vanishing America, has now become a cornerstone of Young’s live set. Though not entirely successful with the critics – Rolling Stone magazine’s Langdon Winner concluded that «most of this music was simply not ready to be recorded» (no comments!) – "After The Gold Rush" struck an immediate chord with the disillusion felt by many after the death of the 1960s dream. By Christmas, it had become Young’s first Top 10 hit album, and remained on the U.S. chart for over a year on its way to selling two million copies. The version presented here is the 50th anniversary edition, with two bonus tracks of "Wonderin'", and with a great 24 bits wav sound. Enjoy!




10 comentários:
Comme toi, je pense que c'est un des 3 meilleurs albums de Neil Young,qui pourtant en a produit beaucoup!C'est ce qu'on peut appeler "l'état de grâce" pur un artiste!
Merci pour ce rappel en espérant que beaucoup de jeunes visiteurs de ton superbe blog l'apprecie!
You're right, Rato, like always. This album has the greatness of the simple things, that lasts forever!
I agree with anonymous there, this is one is a simple, delicate record that just brims with charming melodies, beauty and emotions. Neil Young channels his grief and heartaches into an album that has stood the test of time: starkly elegant, beautifully played songs that come from the heart.
I find this album very intimate; when he sings Don Gibson’s simple lyrics
“Everybody’s going out and having fun
I’m a fool for staying home and having none”
he’s singing my anthem to nights of disquiet spent moping in my room.
I also love this album for the strange lovely imagery, when he sings
“I was lying' in a burned out basement
with the full moon in my eyes.”
I can almost see the full moon feel that I’m right inside the room with him.
p.s like you, I also love this mainly for the “soft” songs.
this is one of the albums that show me the power of music to accompany you through the important moments of your life, to the point that you can;t imagine getting through them without it.
i found this record only a few years ago and it literaly changed my life... you have great taste!!
Hi! Thanks for this gem and for the great posts all the time - as a regular visitor I am curious if you have intention of posting Tom Jones in the near future.
Hola amigo Rato,
Gracias por postear este grandisimo album de unos de mis músicos preferidos en la nueva edición remasterizada este año.
Un saludo,
Juan
Hi Rato,
I am already asking too much.
I wish you can share the link for this.
Thank you very much!
Dado
THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR RATO!!!
Sin duda el mejor álbum de Young. Lo volveré a disfrutar una vez más. Muchas gracias por este blog y su música
Hi!
Thanx for this one. An iconic Canadian artist & will enjoy listening to this. Some very complimentary & detailed comments too.
Cheers!
Ciao! For now.
rntcj
Enviar um comentário