terça-feira, 6 de setembro de 2016

ARLO GUTHRIE: "WASHINGTON COUNTY"

Original Releasd on LP Reprise RS 6411
(US, December 1970)

I first heard this album when I was a hippie. Now that I'm a responsible adult I get up and make coffee instead of rolling something in paper. But, somehow this is still in my music player some 30 to 40 years latter. I probly bought it 3 or 4 times over the years as it was lost, stolen, and went from LP to 8-track to CD. It is an astonishing record - deep, melodic, intelligent and oh so pretty. For anyone who enjoys Dylan, or Sheryl Crow, or anyone in between, the lyrics are profound, the instrumentation complex and powerful, the joy unavoidable. This was a favorite album for many "hippies" in the early 70's. Still basking in the idealistic, post Woodstock belief that simplifying life can solve all of man's problems, Arlo released this album of uplifting, well played, almost spiritual songs. Listen to this album a few times and you'll be scanning the real-estate ads for some country acreage. This is a feel good album that was released during a time of social turmoil. It was a salve for the spirit at the time and even now soothes the nerves and offers simple rest and some cool shade. Just looking at the album makes me want to grab my overalls and hoe and head for the country. Great memories of a way of life that promised escape from what was perceived as a corrupt, materialistic society. Too bad the majority of the people of that time now live the same lives they rebelled against 40 years ago. Want a break from the complexities of life? Next sunny day, grab this CD; jump in the car; and take a drive in the country. (in Amazon)

Some of the cream of Los Angeles's better roots rock players supported Guthrie on his first album of the 1970s, including Ry Cooder, Chris Ethridge, Richie Hayward, Doug Dillard, Clarence White, and Hoyt Axton. Occasionally, he went back to purer folk arrangements, with the banjo-driven instrumental title track and the cover of father Woody Guthrie's "Lay Down Little Doggies." But for the most part, it was in the newly emerging singer/songwriter mold, mellow yet committed. While the results had Guthrie continue his process of more comfortably integrating contemporary rock into his music, it's also a little too low-energy on the whole in its mildly countrified singer/songwriter folk-rock. "Gabriel's Mother Hiway Ballad #16 Blues," "If You Would Just Drop By," and "I Want to Be Around" are all above average for the genre, but some of the other material was blander. The highlight, actually, was one of the few non-originals, a cover of Bob Dylan's "Percy's Song" (which Dylan himself had not released at that point). Few have picked up on it, but it's one of the better Dylan interpretations, Guthrie's reading a fine vehicle for the slightly weary contemplation of the lengthy lyric, given a sympathetic light string arrangement. (Richie Unterberger in AllMusic)

6 comentários:

Anonymous disse...

this is one of my all-time faves, too. still listen to it almost every week.
tom w.

Anonymous disse...

I too have listened to this album over and over. The opening is one of the greatest in rock history. A treasure.

Billy Rider disse...

This blog really rocks with our memories!

Anonymous disse...

Muchas gracias amigo por mandarme el link para bajar este disco de este gran canta-autor.
Un saludo,
Juan

Sara C disse...

I have been listening to this album since I was in diapers (thanks to my mom) and I'm now 28. I was just listening to it tonight. I live in Washington Country, New York.. my mom always said that he was inspired by the country here (the album cover could have easily been taken in my back field) but I was never sure if she was right...

juan manuel muñoz disse...

muchísimas gracias, apreciado amigo. lo mejor para ti

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...